- Average length of stay 5 days
- Length of stay in hospital 1 day
- Operation duration 2-5 hours
- Anesthesia General anesthesia
- Recovery duration 5-7 days
Flap-ear is the lack of folds in the upper part of the ear and the angle between the head and the ear is bigger than normal. This makes the ear seems open more than usual and becomes even more noticeable from the back. With otoplasty surgery, the ears are approached to the head and the missing folds are formed.
Anyone whose cartilage area larger than the ears, which means who has a flap-eared, and anyone who feels uncomfortable with this situation can easily have this procedure.
How is Otoplasty surgery done?
The surgery is performed under general anaesthesia for under age patients and performed under local anaesthesia for adults. A small incision is made at the back of the ear which is called the auricle, the excess skin is removed and aligned with the general size of the ear. A small number of stitches and bandages are applied to the incision. Bandages are to be changed every day or so for 2-3 weeks. Stitches are removed after 10 days. The process takes 1-2 hours in total.
During the healing process, it is necessary not to lie on a high pillow and to avoid involuntarily movements that will bend the ear.
Things to consider before surgery
- Use of alcohol should be stopped before 2 weeks from the surgery.
- In case of any disease, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, goitre disease, allergy, chronic diseases, etc... It should be reported to the doctor.
- The doctor should be notified if any sickness such as flu, cold, sore throat or dryness occur before 1-7 days from the surgery.
- Smoking reduces the amount of oxygen in the blood. Therefore, healing of wounds becomes difficult and takes more time. Therefore; it is recommended to stop smoking two weeks before the surgery.
Things to consider after surgery
- Patients need to rest at home for at least 3 days after the surgery.
- After the bandages are removed, the use of the recommended head band is required for 1 week. This is very important in order to keep the ears from re-opening.
- Dressing should be changed as recommended and directed by the doctor and shouldn’t be delayed.
- The patients should avoid bending, twisting or folding the ear for about 2 months after operation.
Children after 1 week, adults within 7 days can return to their daily lives. Swellings arising because of the surgery disappear gradually within 2-3 weeks. After 3 weeks, normal exercises can be performed. Avoid any activity that could damage the ear and cause it to bend for 1.5 months. The ear takes the last form within 4-6 weeks.
The last form of the ear and the non-surgical appearance is shown after 3 months. Regardless, as with any type of surgery the final result in otoplasty is shown after 1 year for most patients.